The weather is brisk and for some it’s sweater season, for others it’s casserole season. At Brennan’s, we’ve merged a Creole favorite in the form of a casserole. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup par-boiled rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cup shrimp stock or water
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons Louisiana hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole Seafood Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme and/or oregano)
- 1 pounds (16/20 count) shrimp, peeled and de-veined (season with Creole seasoning)
- 6 whole eggs + vegetable oil as needed (optional as breakfast casserole)
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; sauté until onion is translucent. Add shrimp.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste; cook 3 minutes.
- Add rice, stock, Worcestershire, hot sauce and 1 1/2 tablespoons seafood seasoning; bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup of the pepper jack cheese and fresh herbs. Place mixture into a casserole dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Stir casserole every 7 minutes to ensure the rice cooks evenly.
- After 25 minutes, carefully remove the casserole dish from oven. Stir the casserole one more time and top with the rest of the cheese. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and allow it to steam for 10 minutes.
- In a nonstick sauté pan prepare six sunny side up eggs to crown the casserole. ( optional)
- Finish with sliced green onions.