To celebrate File Day here is just one version of Gumbo we serve here at the restaurant:
Smoked Chicken Gumbo
Brennan’s Smoked Chicken and Mushroom Gumbo
1 ea (3-lbs.) chicken, smoked
1 tbl grapeseed oil
1 tbl minced garlic
1 ea (lrg green) bell pepper, chopped
1 ea (lrg red) bell pepper, chopped
4 ribs celery, diced
1 ea (med) yellow onion, chopped
1 tbl sassafrass, file
1 c tomatoes, chopped
6 ea bay leaf
1 gallon chicken stock
2 tbl Louisiana hot pepper sauce
2 tbl Worcestershire sauce
to taste salt & black pepper
as needed duck egg potato salad
1 c grapeseed oil
1-1/2 c all purpose flour
1. Debone chicken and medium chop reserve until needed. Reserve bones for stock.
2. Prepare brown roux; reserve until needed.
3. In a heavy bottomed pot at medium-high heat add grapeseed oil, garlic, green and red bell peppers, celery and onion; saute 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Add sassafrass and mix well.
5. Add tomatoes and bay leaves.
6. Add reserved roux, whisking vigorously until roux is incorporated.
7. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 45 mintues.
8. Stir in reserved chicken, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
9. Serve in individual bowls; top with duck egg potato salad.
DUCK EGG POTATO SALAD
2 lbs fingerling potatoes (or favorite)
1 tbl crab boil
3 tbl grapeseed oil
1 ea shallot, small dice
1 ea (green) bell pepper, small dice
1 rib celery, small dice
1/4 c crispy bacon, chopped (optional)
1/4 c boil Duck egg, finely chopped
1/2 c lemon juice
2/3 c mayonnaise
1/4 c Creole mustard
1/2 c pickled okra, small dice
1/4 c pickled okra brine
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
to taste Kosher salt
to taste black pepper
to taste Creole seasoning
1. Boil potatoes with crab boil until tender and chill in ice water 4-5 minutes. Drain then set aside.
2. In a saute pan, add grapeseed oil and saute shallots, bell pepper and celery until tender and chill.
3. In a large bowl, add potatoes, bell pepper, celery, bacon, okra and chopped egg, mayonnaise, Creole mustard, okra brine, lemon juice and mix gently until well incorporated.
4. Fold in green onions and season to taste.